Manchester United should swoop for the services of Santos striker Marcos Alonso when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
The Brazilian was one of the radar of top European clubs during the summer and United were one of those linked with a possible move.
However, the 20-year-old eventually stayed put with Santos to help them in their battle to avoid relegation from the Brazilian top-flight.
His agent Rafaela Pimenta has now confirmed that he is ready for a European challenge in January and we believe United should land his signature.
Leonardo should replace Anthony Martial this winter
The young striker has had a tremendous campaign with Santos. He has netted 21 goals and provided four assists from 45 appearances in all competitions.
His form has caught the eye of several European clubs. Roma were hot on the trail of him last summer and came on the cusp of finalising a transfer fee.
The Giallorossi are bound to make a renewed approach, but United should beat them to his services. Leonardo could be an ideal competitor up front.
Rasmus Hojlund has been almost an undisputed starter since his debut, but United are on the look out for a new signing, who can reduce the pressure on him.
Leonardo would be a brilliant long-term investment. Aside from his goal contributions, he likes to engage in duels and has a good work rate in the final third.
He is also good with his take-ons and has drawn over two fouls per game from the opposition.
With Anthony Martial being linked with a January move to Saudi Arabia, United could easily recoup a portion of the funds to sign the €25 million-rated star.
Martial has had a difficult season thus far with United. The club are likely to cash in on him with his contract expiring at the end of the current campaign.
They have the option to extend his deal for another year but have decided against the clause.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin