Manchester United should make an approach to sign Liverpool target Manuel Ugarte during this summer’s transfer window.
The Red Devils bolstered their midfield with Casemiro and Christian Eriksen last summer and they went on to sign Marcel Sabitzer on loan during the January transfer window.
Among the trio, Casemiro has been a revelation from the number six position this term. He has brought more solidity in front of the backline with his strong defensive qualities.
Despite this, United should look at improving the quality and depth in the squad. In our opinion, Ugarte should be signed as a long-term successor to Casemiro this summer.
Ugarte would be an upgrade on Scott McTominay
Scott McTominay had a good start to the season under manager Erik ten Hag but lost his starting spot to Casemiro following the heavy 6-3 defeat in the Manchester derby in October.
The Scot has since been a regular on the bench and he has only started games when Casemiro has been suspended. There are suggestions that he could push for a new challenge.
If McTominay is prepared to move on, the Red Devils should consider signing another young defensive midfielder, who has the potential to compete with Casemiro for a starting spot.
In our view, Ugarte would be the perfect fit. The Uruguayan has been in superb form for Sporting this term. He has won a spectacular 3.9 tackles and 7.4 duels per appearance in the Primeira Liga.
The 22-year-old has also been stellar with his distribution, completing 91 per cent of his passes.
Liverpool have already made the first move to sign the promising star but United could have an edge over them as they are in a strong position to qualify for the Champions League.
Ugarte is currently protected by a €60 million release clause. United could recoup most of the funds from McTominay’s sale. The Scot is reportedly a top target for Newcastle this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd