Manchester United should sign Real Betis striker Borja Iglesias on a short-term loan to cover up for the injury absence of Anthony Martial.
The Red Devils have been without Martial for several weeks and his agent recently confirmed that he will undergo a surgery for a hip problem.
This could see him sidelined for a while and in our opinion, the club must fill the void with a stopgap signing in the winter transfer window.
Bayern Munich striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting has been linked in recent days, but we believe Iglesias would be a better acquisition for the club.
The 31-year-old was at the top of his game last season with 15 goals in the Spanish top-flight, but he has been playing second fiddle to Willian Jose this term.
Bundesliga leaders Bayer Leverkusen have made a proposal to land him on loan with a buy clause. In our view, the Red Devils should beat them to his services.
Iglesias would be a cost-effective loan signing
United are unlikely to make a permanent transfer this winter due to their tight Financial Fair Play situation. They could make a solitary loan signing before the deadline.
Choupo-Moting has been associated with a move but he won’t come on the cheap. Bayern will want his £116,000-a-week wages to be paid in full alongside a loan fee.
In comparison, Iglesias earns only £26,500 weekly at Betis. The Red Devils stand to save close to £2 million in wages which could be utilised to secure a loan agreement.
Choupo-Moting and Iglesias have been fringe players this term but comparison their stats last season, the latter netted five league goals more than Choupo-Moting (10).
The Spaniard has fared better with lesser quality players around him compared to Choupo-Moting.
United manager Erik ten Hag is likely to stick with Rasmus Hojlund up front for the rest of the season and any striker signed could see minimal playing time off the bench.
It is left to be seen whether the Red Devils can convince Iglesias to accept the role when he could get regular minutes at Leverkusen in the short term with Victor Boniface injured.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow