Manchester United should prioritise a deal for Juventus star Federico Chiesa over Lyon’s Moussa Dembele this summer.
The Red Devils are currently targeting a marquee striker, and they have been linked with the likes of Harry Kane, Victor Osimhen and Rasmus Hojlund.
Hojlund appears the likelier candidate to join United, but there is the possibility that United could look to pursue another low-cost centre-forward.
Chiesa is a no-brainer signing over Dembele for United
Chiesa has had a tough 18 months with Juventus after a serious knee injury, but he still managed 10 goal contributions from just 1,483 minutes last term.
The Italian has the ability to play anywhere in attack. He prefers to operate from the flanks, but has been used as a second striker on several occasions.
The former Fiorentina graduate does not possess an aerial presence, but makes up for it with his strong dribbling skills and quick feet to outwit defenders.
The Bianconeri are open to selling him for just €35 million after missing out on Champions League football. He should be a bargain signing for that price.
Meanwhile, Dembele will be available on a free transfer when his Lyon contract expires this month.
The 26-year-old had a good 2021/22 season with 22 goals and five assists, but last campaign was a tough one for him as he played second fiddle to Alexandre Lacazette.
The former Celtic man finished with three goals and one assist from just 1,054 minutes for Les Gones.
Dembele will be keen to revive his career elsewhere. He is available on a free transfer, but should command high wages and a significant signing-on fee.
Both Chiesa and Dembele would be handy options for the second striker role, but we prefer the former, who is very versatile and could play in several positions.
Dembele, on the other hand, is a specialist striker. United should consider pursuing a deal for Chiesa despite Dembele being available on a Bosman transfer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions