Manchester United aren’t expected to sign Wout Weghorst on a permanent deal this summer, as he’s been short of goals since joining on loan from Burnley in January.
However, there may be a cheaper replacement than Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen available – Evan Ferguson.
The 18-year-old, who grew up a United supporter, is enjoying a fantastic breakthrough season at Brighton & Hove Albion and could be a good long-term successor for Weghorst. United fans have called for his signing on social media after seeing his exploits.
Ferguson (41.6% aerial duels won) and Weghorst (45.4% aerial duels won) are both dominant in the air, but the former has scored considerably more goals this season (seven goals and three assists from 16 games) than the latter (two goals and two assists from 18 games).
The teenager, who has scored one goal in three games for the Ireland national team, has thrived with more playing time under Roberto De Zerbi, but Brighton are expecting approaches this summer.
Ferguson has a €10 million (£8.8m) market value, so he wouldn’t break the bank, but it’s worth remembering that the centre-forward is still at the beginning of his career.
If United tried to sign him as reports suggest, they’re not acquiring the finished article yet. Ferguson has impressed in very few games this season, but he still has a lot of developing to do.
He is similar to Weghorst, bringing teammates into the attack and having hold-up abilities on the ball, but he wouldn’t walk into United’s starting XI next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt and WhoScored
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns