Manchester United should beat Chelsea to the signing of Lille striker Jonathan David during this summer’s transfer window.
David will enter the final 12 months of his Lille contract from July and the French outfit are widely expected to cash in on his services.
Voetbal Krant claim that both United and Chelsea want to land his signature, but he won’t come on the cheap with Lille eyeing at least €60 million.
In our opinion, the Red Devils should aim to beat the Blues to the signing of David as he could provide solid competition to Rasmus Hojlund.
David would be an ideal competitor to Hojlund
The Canada international has been touted to move to the Premier League for a while and it could happen this summer due to his contract situation.
Lille have resisted his transfer over the past few years, but they could be compelled to sell him with the risk of losing him on a free transfer in 2025.
In our view, David would be a fine acquisition for United. Hojlund has made the number nine position his own, but manager Erik ten Hag may want another quality striker.
Anthony Martial is no longer the answer with his constant injury troubles. The Frenchman looks set to leave when his contract concludes on June 30.
Meanwhile, David has impressed with his hold-up play and has a passing accuracy of 81 per cent this season. He has also won close to four duels per game, winning 55 per cent of his dribbles.
David, who can also play as a second striker or in the number 10 role, has registered 13 goals and six assists from 29 appearances for Lille this term.
Lille value him in the region of €60m, but United should be optimistic of signing him for €40-45m as he enters the last year of his contract this summer.
The club also have an interest in David’s teammate Leny Yoro. We won’t be surprised if United attempt to secure a double transfer deal from Les Dogues.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy