Manchester United have been linked with Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen with Erik ten Hag keen to strengthen the attack to challenge on all fronts next season.
However, the Red Devils may be lining up a surprise move for a struggling Premier League striker if reports are to be believed.
Diario AS said on Wednesday that United have ‘asked’ about Joao Felix, but it’s hard to see Ten Hag pushing to procure his signature based on his performances at Chelsea.
The 23-year-old joined on a short-term loan in January and hasn’t set the place alight with one goal in his first eight games.
Felix has since doubled his tally, but Atletico Madrid have slapped a €100 million (£88.2m) price tag on his head, so United wouldn’t be getting value for money if they matched their demands.
The Portuguese international, who has bagged just four goals and three assists from 29 caps, was loaned out because he’s not reached his potential.
Felix has scored 34 goals with 18 assists from 131 games for Atleti since joining from Benfica in 2019 – one goal contribution every 2.5 games on average.
He scoredten0 goals with six assists from 35 games last season, which is okay but ultimately below-par for a player that cost a club-record €126m (£111m).
United may feel there are better ways to spend their money. Kane has 21 goals in 28 league games this season while Osimhen boasts 21 goals from 23 Serie A outings, so the pair would be much better investments than Felix.
If Chelsea don’t know if they want him permanently, why would United be so sure?
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season