Manchester United are on the verge of tying standout performer Marcus Rashford down to a new multi-year contract after reaching a verbal agreement with their homegrown forward.
According to The Athletic, the 25-year-old will pledge his long-term allegiance to Old Trafford by putting pen to paper on a new five-year contract.
Rashford’s current deal runs out next summer. Extension talks have had ups and downs, with both parties persistently sticking to their guns.
However, the Red Devils made a breakthrough in long-standing negotiations last month, convincing their main man to accept a mouth-watering £300,000-a-week contract.
With the never-ending transfer saga continuing to fill the headlines, Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag feared the England international would pull the plug on a deal due to various uncertainties surrounding the club.
Several clubs from England and overseas have been keeping close tabs on Rashford’s situation at the Theatre of Dreams, hoping to take advantage of United’s stuttering bid to renew his contract.
But the club’s unwavering stance on their senior first-team star is about to pay off, with Rashford ready to put rumours to bed once and for all by committing to a new deal.
Even if Man United had any suspicions about the Englishman’s significance to Ten Hag’s set-up, his mesmerising form in 2022/23 put all doubts to rest.
Once Ten Hag removed Cristiano Ronaldo from Rashford’s way, the quicksilver forward elevated to prominence, tallying an eye-catching 30 goals and 11 assists from 56 competitive appearances.
He played a central role as the Dutch manager broke United’s six-year title drought, scoring in a 2-0 win over Newcastle United in February’s League Cup showpiece to seal his fifth major trophy with the Red Devils.
Rashford’s imminent contract extension could set the tone for a stellar week for Man Utd.
They expect to complete Andre Onana’s long-awaited move from Inter Milan before jetting off to the United States for a pre-season tour on Wednesday.
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return