Manchester United are set to compete with Real Madrid to sign Inter Milan defender Federico Dimarco this summer, according to Independent.
The Red Devils are currently well covered in the left-back department with Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia in the first-team squad.
However, United are still interested in a potential transfer for Dimarco, who has vastly played from left wing-back for Inter.
Independent believe manager Erik ten Hag could be considering him for his immense versatility and an affordable asking price.
United have already spoken with Inter for Dimarco but face competition from Madrid, who are eyeing a new left-back option.
Dimarco could be a handy signing for United
The 25-year-old had an impressive 2022/23 campaign with Inter. He scored six goals and provided 10 assists – five of those came in the Champions League.
He made 43 out of his 50 appearances from the left wing-back position, but Dimarco can also operate comfortably from left-back or in central defence.
This could be a key reason behind United’s pursuit. Ten Hag could play either Shaw or Dimarco at left centre-back when Lisandro Martinez is rested.
Dimarco could also be used as an attacking option by Ten Hag. The Italian managed 16 goal contributions last term. He averaged two crosses per game.
He is currently valued at €35 million (£30m) by Transfermarkt, but could be prised away for less as Inter could be desperate to balance their books by June 30.
United will need to move quickly to sign him, considering Los Blancos are also pursuing his signature. Eduardo Camavinga is reluctant to play in defence next term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action