Manchester United have been handed a blow in the pursuit of Odysseas Vlachodimos with the goalkeeper set to sign a new long-term deal with Benfica.
The Red Devils have been linked with Vlachodimos on multiple occasions this season. There have been claims that United could consider signing him this winter.
However, their prospects are set to be dashed with Benfica on the verge of committing him to a new long-term contract until the summer of 2027, as per Record.
The 28-year-old, whose current deal expires in 18 months, will also have a €60 million release clause in his new contract which will be valid until June 2025.
Man Utd set to miss out on Vlachodimos
The Greek has had a top season with Benfica. He recently caught the eye against Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League where he made seven saves in a 1-1 draw.
Aside from his strong reflexes, he has impressed with his passing accuracy of 79 per cent this term. Despite this, United should not be disappointed at missing out on him.
Vlachodimos has had an exceptional campaign for Benfica thus far, but he is not the best when it comes to long ball distribution or catching crosses. He likes to punch the ball.
These are two key attributes which Erik ten Hag prefers in his goalkeepers. In our view, there are better shot-stoppers in the transfer market if United decide to replace David de Gea next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United want Torino right-back Raoul Bellanova to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the summer
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini