Following Marouane Fellaini’s new two-year contract announced during the week, it is not known whether Jose Mourinho is keen to bring in another central midfielder or not to Manchester United this summer.
The retired Michael Carrick has been replaced by Fred and it had previously been expected that the boss would bring in a replacement for Fellaini who had been expected to leave today.
We have been linked to a number of players in this position this summer and continue to do so. Whether they will die down in the coming days remains to be seen.
One target is Real Madrid and Germany star Toni Kroos. It is believed that Jose Mourinho is keen to bring the 28-year-old to Old Trafford this summer.
Jose wants to strengthen our squad in order to compete for both the Champions League and Premier League titles next season and central midfield has been one of the main focuses this summer.
Reports in Spain (via the Daily Mail) believe that Toni Kroos is now our prime target with Spanish outlet Diario AS claiming that Jose has told executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward that he wants the German international this summer.
The report goes on to say that we are ready to launch a big money offer in order to secure the services of the Real Madrid regular, though he does have a ridiculous £442 million buy-out clause.
It is not yet known whether Kroos is in new Real Madrid manager, Julen Lopetegui’s plans. And whilst we are one of the richest clubs in the world it is difficult to persuade any regular in the Real Madrid first team to leave.
Toni Kroos has certainly been one of the best midfielders in the world during his past four seasons with Real Madrid in which he has won the Champions League on three occasions and the La Liga title once since joining from Bayern Munich after the 2014 World Cup.
He’d no doubt be an excellent purchase if we’re able to pull it off, but given he is under contract until 2022 at the Santiago Bernabeu we’d be relying on the new manager not wanting him if he’s to join us this summer.
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return