Manchester United could be without the services of Alejandro Garnacho in late May with Argentina likely to be granted the hosting rights for the Under-20 World Cup.
FIFA recently stripped the hosting rights from Indonesia and it has been reported by Bolavip that they have confirmed Argentina as the new hosts of the tournament.
This could directly have an impact on the Red Devils, considering they have one of the leading stars of the Argentina Under-20 setup in the form of Garnacho.
United did not send the 18-year-old for the Under-20 South American Championship in January and February as they were in no obligation to do so by FIFA.
However, Bolavip report that they would have no control for the Under-20 World Cup as all clubs are obliged to send their young players for the tournament.
Garnacho is currently on the sidelines after picking up an ankle injury but he is anticipated to return in time to participate for Argentina in the Under-20 World Cup.
The South American nation initially failed to qualify for the World Cup but in a surprise turn of events, they have now booked their spot as the hosts of the tournament.
United handed fresh blow for the season run-in
The €25 million-rated star has had a fine breakthrough campaign with the club. He has nine goal contributions. A number of those have come in match-winning situations.
Manager Erik ten Hag recently said that he is hopeful of Garnacho’s return in the final weeks of the season but this could benefit Argentina rather than the Red Devils.
United will have no choice but to send Garnacho to the Under-20 World Cup if Argentina are hosts. Only the failure to return from his injury could see him skip the tournament.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’