The 2017-18 Premier League season comes to an end today before Manchester United’s season finishes next Saturday at Wembley Stadium in the FA Cup final.
After that the attention will be on the transfer window as Jose Mourinho tries to assemble a squad capable of challenging for the Premier League and Champions League titles next season.
We have been strongly linked with a number of players already, with defence and midfield being the biggest focuses this summer.
One player who has been linked to us for several months is Juventus left-back Alex Sandro. Ashley Young has made the left-back role his own this season but the England international turns 33 over the summer and is not an out-and-out defender.
And a deal could soon be on the cards for Young’s replacement as the Metro are today reporting that we are close to finalising a £50 million deal for Alex Sandro.
The report goes as far as to say that Juventus ‘expect‘ a deal to be completed with the Premier League giants once the current campaign is over. Max Allegri’s side can win their seventh straight Scudetto at AS Roma this evening, before finishing the 2017-18 season at home to Hellas Verona next Sunday. Our final game is Chelsea in the FA Cup final the day before.
The Brazilian international is one of the top players in his position, chipping in with four goals and four assists in his 24 Serie A appearances (21 starts) for the soon-to-be champions of Italy.
Alex Sandro is solid defensively and also good at running at the opposition down the left flank. He’d certainly be an upgrade on what we currently have.
Any deal for the Brazilian would likely see Luke Shaw shown the exit door at Old Trafford according to the report. The 22-year-old has not been in Jose Mourinho’s good books for well over a year as it is.
Alex Sandro has been with Juventus for three years following his £23 million move from FC Porto in 2015 where he has made the left-back role his own.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations