Manchester United are prepared to break the ‘Ronaldo rule’ as they look to commit Marcus Rashford to an improved contract beyond next season.
The England international has been United’s best player under manager Erik ten Hag this term and he is currently in a rich vein of form across all competitions.
Rashford has scored in each of his last seven appearances. Overall, the 25-year-old has 16 goals from 26 games for United. He has also chipped in with six assists.
It is now reported that United are planning to hold talks with him over a fresh deal beyond June 2024 and he is likely to be offered an improved contract by the board.
The hierarchy are determined to keep him amid the transfer interest from Paris Saint-Germain.
United set to break ‘Ronaldo rule’ to keep Rashford
Earlier this month, the Red Devils introduced a wage cap described as the ‘Ronaldo rule‘. The club plan to set £200,000-a-week as the maximum salary to avoid dressing room jealously.
However, they will have to make an exception for some players and Rashford could be one of them.
The United graduate is already earning £200,000 weekly as part of his previous contract and he will expect a significant rise to put pen-to-paper on a new long-term deal.
It has been reported that the hierarchy could be prepared to offer £400,000-a-week to persuade him to stay. If he agrees to the proposal, he would be the club’s highest earner.
In our opinion, United should pay whatever it takes to keep the ‘unstoppable‘ star. He is currently in the form of his life and should only get better as he improves his finishing.
Ten Hag is the right manager to take him to the next level and make him world-class. With PSG keeping tabs, United must sort out his future before the current season ends.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer