Manchester United are expected to appoint Steve McClaren as one of the assistant managers under incoming head coach Erik ten Hag, a report from The Telegraph claims.
Ten Hag was confirmed as the club’s new permanent manager earlier today, having agreed terms over an initial three-year contract. He will officially take charge at the end of the campaign.
The Dutchman has yet to pick his backroom staff, but it appears he could have two assistant managers in the dug-out. One of them should be his current assistant at Ajax in Mitchell van der Gaag.
McClaren looks set to be the other. The 60-year-old had a successful stint as Sir Alex Ferguson’s assistant between 1999 and 2001. He was regarded as one of the most tactically astute coaches with the use of modern methods such as video analysis.
He ended his association to become manager thereafter, but his career did not go as planned. He has not been in the dug-out since his managerial stint at Queens Park Rangers in 2019, but could now be reunited with Ten Hag at his former club.
Ten Hag was previously an assistant manager under McClaren at Twente in 2008 before he moved on to PSV. The two have not worked together since, but the Dutchman values McClaren’s success at United and vast experience in English football.
The Red Devils were initially reluctant to bring McClaren back to Old Trafford after two decades, but Ten Hag has now won the battle, having convinced the hierarchy. McClaren is expected to be appointed in the coming weeks.
The ex-England manager saw immense success under Sir Alex with the 1998/99 season being the highlight. The Red Devils won the treble of the Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup which has not been achieved by an English club ever since.
United are no longer in the same phase of dominance. Ten Hag has a huge rebuilding job ahead to take the club back to their glory days. It remains to be seen what kind of role McClaren plays under Ten Hag, having not been in a similar position for decades.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?