Manchester United have joined Barcelona in contacting the representatives of Lyon right-back Malo Gusto, French publication L’Equipe report.
The Red Devils are eager to bring in a new right-back before the transfer deadline with Aaron Wan-Bissaka not in the plans of manager Erik ten Hag.
United alongside Barcelona have opened talks with the player’s entourage, but Lyon are reluctant to lose their prized asset whose deal expires in June 2024.
L’Equipe cite that Les Gones are looking at the prospect of extending his stay at the club, and it would take a fee beyond the market price for them to sell.
Manchester United make surprise enquiry for Gusto
Gusto had his breakout campaign with Lyon last season. He was pretty impressive for the Ligue 1outfit, registering five assists from 30 league games.
Aside from his goal involvements, the 19-year-old fared well defensively with 1.8 tackles and 1.1 interceptions per game while completing 88 per cent of his passes.
The teenager also caught the eye with his crossing ability and hold-up play, and he could be one to watch out for in the future with his immense potential.
United manager Erik ten Hag is known for developing young talents into potential world-beaters, and he may have recommended Gusto to the hierarchy.
He is currently valued at £10.8 million by Transfermarkt, and Lyon are unlikely to contemplate selling him this summer barring a significant transfer offer.
United definitely have the edge over Barcelona due to the latter’s financial issues, but the big question is whether Lyon would even do business with them.
Les Gones were on the cusp of landing Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord earlier this summer when United managed to hijack the deal with an 11th hour bid.
The French outfit will undoubtedly have been angered by the moment, and it remains to be seen whether that has any impact on United’s pursuit of Gusto.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January