Manchester United have set a price tag for midfielder Scott McTominay amid interest from Newcastle United, according to ESPN.
The Scotland international began the season as a regular from the number six role. Manager Erik ten Hag continued with him despite the arrival of Casemiro from Real Madrid.
However, McTominay was eventually displaced from his position after the 6-3 defeat in the Manchester derby in October. He has since been a fringe player for the club.
ESPN now report that Eddie Howe is an admirer of the midfielder’s talents but Newcastle have been put off from making a concrete move due to the £40 million + price tag.
McTominay likely to leave Man Utd this summer
McTominay has been a regular unused substitute over the past few months and his situation could become worse this summer if United pursue another midfielder.
Earlier last month, we discussed the possibility of United selling Fred instead of McTominay, but the former has been hugely impressive over the past few weeks.
Hence, McTominay is probably the midfielder that could be sold in the next transfer window, considering Donny van de Beek is sidelined with a long-term knee injury.
United are currently holding out for more than £40m to part ways with McTominay, but it won’t come as a surprise if they are willing to lower the fee with future add-ons.
Newcastle would be an ideal destination for the ‘fantastic‘ star in the prime of his career. He could have the chance to play in Europe and win trophies with their big investment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books