Manchester United have turned down an opening bid from West Ham United for midfielder Scott McTominay, according to Sky Sports reporter Melissa Reddy.
The Hammers have agreed to sign Edson Alvarez from Ajax, but they are also interested in landing McTominay, who has been a long-term target for manager David Moyes.
It was recently confirmed that they made a £30 million bid for the Scotland international, but the bid has been rejected. The Red Devils currently value him at around £45m.
United are more than happy to keep McTominay, but he is also seen as the biggest sale that they can make this summer. Newcastle United could still act on their interest, depending on other deals.
McTominay could leave for the right price
McTominay is currently the immediate back-up option to Casemiro for the number six role, but he could drop down the pecking order if United were to sign Sofyan Amrabat.
This could urge him to move on in the current transfer window, but a transfer would depend on whether West Ham or Newcastle are willing to meet United’s demands.
McTominay is a home-grown player in the prime of his career at 26. He has two years left on his contract with United, but the club have the option to extend for 12 months.
Taking this into regard, the £45m valuation seems reasonable with the nature of the current transfer market. The onus is on West Ham or Newcastle to pay the fee.
The Hammers are currently leading the pursuit of the Scot, but we won’t be surprised if the Magpies make a fresh approach after failing to sign McTominay in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action