Manchester United have turned down an opening bid from West Ham United for midfielder Scott McTominay, according to Sky Sports reporter Melissa Reddy.
The Hammers have agreed to sign Edson Alvarez from Ajax, but they are also interested in landing McTominay, who has been a long-term target for manager David Moyes.
It was recently confirmed that they made a £30 million bid for the Scotland international, but the bid has been rejected. The Red Devils currently value him at around £45m.
United are more than happy to keep McTominay, but he is also seen as the biggest sale that they can make this summer. Newcastle United could still act on their interest, depending on other deals.
McTominay could leave for the right price
McTominay is currently the immediate back-up option to Casemiro for the number six role, but he could drop down the pecking order if United were to sign Sofyan Amrabat.
This could urge him to move on in the current transfer window, but a transfer would depend on whether West Ham or Newcastle are willing to meet United’s demands.
McTominay is a home-grown player in the prime of his career at 26. He has two years left on his contract with United, but the club have the option to extend for 12 months.
Taking this into regard, the £45m valuation seems reasonable with the nature of the current transfer market. The onus is on West Ham or Newcastle to pay the fee.
The Hammers are currently leading the pursuit of the Scot, but we won’t be surprised if the Magpies make a fresh approach after failing to sign McTominay in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley