Manchester United are seriously interested in signing Ajax defender Jurrien Timber this summer, Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
The Red Devils are prioritising a new centre-back this summer, having had a poor league campaign where they have conceded a staggering 56 goals.
A move for Timber has been talked about due to his former association with Erik ten Hag, and it is now reported that United are ‘seriously interested’ in securing his services.
Bayern Munich have made an approach, but it is said that he could reunite with Ten Hag at Old Trafford. Discussions have already been held with his management over a summer switch.
Timber can play as a centre-back or right-back, but he has predominantly operated in the former of those positions for the Dutch giants.
In the recent season, he was hugely impressive with an average of 2.4 tackles and 1.7 interceptions per league game alongside 1.5 aerial duels. He completed over 91 per cent of his passes.
Timber will undoubtedly face a stiffer challenge with the step up to the Premier League, and could be slowly integrated as he adapts to the intensity.
At 20, he has plenty of room to improve. Ten Hag handed him his first-team chance at Ajax and the Dutchman will know his strengths and weaknesses.
In the past, the Red Devils hierarchy have pursued players that don’t match with the manager’s philosophy, but it won’t be the case with Timber.
The £27 million-rated star appears the right profile with a long-term plan in mind. Ten Hag could make him a potential world-beater in years to come.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest