Manchester United are seriously interested in signing Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat, who is also on the radar of Barcelona, according to Sport.
The Red Devils are aiming to reinforce their midfield department ahead of the 2023/24 season, and Chelsea’s Mason Mount is the priority target for manager Erik ten Hag.
The Dutchman sees the 24-year-old as the ideal player to provide more creativity, but he could also be interested in signing another holding midfielder this summer.
As per Sport, United are moving seriously in the pursuit of Amrabat, and they have stepped up their contact with the player’s entourage over the last few hours.
The Moroccan has the preference to join Barcelona, but he is open to alternative choices as the Catalan giants can’t afford him due to Financial Fair Play concerns.
Amrabat’s arrival could pave the way for Scott McTominay’s exit
Casemiro has been United’s undisputed choice in the number six role since his full Premier League debut in October last year. He has been brilliant from the position.
The Brazilian is assured to keep his starting spot next season, but Ten Hag may want strong competition for places. Amrabat would be a solid deputy in the squad.
The 26-year-old was exceptional for Morocco at the World Cup in Qatar. He was exemplary with his work rate and distribution from the defensive midfield role.
In our view, he would be a clear upgrade on McTominay. This season, he has completed 90 per cent of his passes in Serie A with 1.3 tackles and 3.1 duels won.
His positioning and concentration are his main strengths. He would be a strong competitor for Casemiro, and could replace him when Ten Hag opts for rotation.
He is currently valued at €25 million by Transfermarkt, and could be available for a similar fee with his Fiorentina contract due to expire in the summer of 2024.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns