Manchester United are seriously interested in signing Bayern Munich striker Eric Choupo-Moting as a replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo in January, reputed journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
Ronaldo’s future has been a constant topic of speculation since the end of last season and it has recently been reported that the hierarchy would be willing to offload him this winter.
Amidst this, it appears United are ‘seriously interested’ in landing Choupo-Moting. They are willing to sign him in January rather than waiting for him to become a free-agent next summer.
However, their hopes could be dashed. Plettenberg claims that the striker prefers to put pen-to-paper on a new contract with Bayern. The Cameroonian will hold talks after the World Cup.
United interest being drummed up for new Bayern deal
Choupo-Moting netted nine goals in each of his previous two seasons at Bayern where he played second fiddle to Robert Lewandowski. With the Pole’s exit, he has transformed himself this season.
The 33-year-old has bagged a stunning 10 goals and three assists from just 14 outings. He is just one goal away from equalling the best-ever scoring season in his long playing career.
That’s quite an achievement at his current age but we would be truly amazed if United want to replace Ronaldo with Choupo-Moting, who barely impressed in England with Stoke City.
If Ronaldo were to leave this winter, the Red Devils would be better served landing a young and emerging star such as Jonathan David, who has plenty of room to adapt and develop.
In our view, United’s name is being used by the player’s representative to ensure that Bayern hand the striker a new and improved contract for his exceptional run of form this term.
His current deal expires in June 2023. Bayern will no doubt want to keep him with how things have paved.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract