Manchester United have sent scouts to monitor young Rangers centre-back Leon King, according to reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano.
The Red Devils bolstered their central defensive department this summer with the purchase of Lisandro Martinez from Ajax Amsterdam.
Martinez has formed a solid partnership alongside Raphael Varane, but United now seem to be looking into the long-term future with King.
As per Romano, King is being closely watched by the Red Devils with his current contract with Rangers due to expire in the summer of 2024.
However, they are not alone with Liverpool and Newcastle United also keeping tabs. The youngster recently started in the 2-0 loss to Liverpool in the Champions League.
United should focus on short-term and long-term signings
The Red Devils spent more than £220 million on six players over the summer. The prime objective was on pursuing stars that can make an immediate impact this term.
However, the club also need to have a long-term plan in place. League rivals Chelsea have already provided a firm example with the purchase of several youngsters.
United should likewise follow the same route and it appears King has caught their radar. The teenager is not the tallest of defenders but he is strong with his tackling.
He has also excelled with his distribution from the back. His main position is as a central defender but he has also played as a right-back on a few occasions for Rangers.
With United currently loaded with central defensive choices, the club may also have an eye on playing King from right-back. He could be seen as a long-term solution for the role.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV