Manchester United are keeping a close eye on three players ahead of the summer transfer window, according to reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano.
The Red Devils are likely to pursue a marquee striker at the end of the campaign and the club have already been linked with Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and Benfica’s Goncalo Ramos.
Speaking on his YouTube channel, Romano has now confirmed that the club have a genuine interest. Osimhen was recently scouted during Napoli’s 2-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt.
Meanwhile, the club have also been tracking Ramos’ displays. The 21-year-old, who bagged a stunning hat-trick for Portugal at the World Cup, has a €120 million release clause in his contract.
Aside from the pair, United are monitoring Bayer Leverkusen right-back Jeremie Frimpong. While Diogo Dalot’s contract is the top priority, the club are eyeing a strong competitor.
United could bring in a new striker and right-back
Marcus Rashford has been in fantastic form for United this campaign, registering 24 goals and providing eight assists from just 37 appearances across all competitions.
However, no one else in the squad has touched double figures in terms of goals. Bruno Fernandes has scored seven times. Anthony Martial and Antony have six goals apiece.
The Red Devils desperately need a striker with a genuine goal threat. Martial has shown promise under manager Erik ten Hag but has spent most of the time on the sidelines.
The Frenchman has picked up five separate injuries and there are suggestions that United will sanction his permanent exit when the transfer window reopens in the summer.
Ramos and Osimhen would be fantastic additions to the squad. The duo have scored 19 goals and 20 goals respectively but the former definitely has more potential in him.
Ramos is nearly three years younger than Osimhen and is much better with his link-up play in the final third. He could be signed for a much lesser fee than the Nigerian star.
Meanwhile, a new right-back is likely to be prioritised for next term. Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka have shared the minutes lately but neither are attacking full-backs by trade.
Dalot has shown more promise going forward but Frimpong would be a fantastic buy. The Netherlands ace has a stunning 12 goal contributions in the current season.
Wan-Bissaka is likely to be sold if Frimpong is signed. The 25-year-old has been a regular starter this year but it is quite clear that does not offer much in the final third.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books