Manchester United have resumed their scouting mission on Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana, according to French outlet RMC Sport.
The Red Devils looked at multiple options to bolster their defensive midfield department last summer. They were interested in signing Fofana on loan with an option to buy but were not successful.
United ended up securing Sofyan Amrabat on a temporary basis, but the Moroccan has yet to find consistency. Amidst this, RMC Sport claim that the club are continuing to monitor Fofana.
No valuation has been mentioned by the report, but Monaco could be wary of losing the Frenchman in the near future with his current contract expiring at the end of next season.
Fofana would be an ideal Casemiro replacement
Casemiro had a fantastic debut season after his arrival from Real Madrid, but he has struggled this campaign. He has been dribbled past on more occasions.
In terms of duel-winning ability, there has been a reduction of nine per cent. He has also picked up a couple of injuries and is currently sidelined until January.
This has led to suggestions that he could be offloaded this winter with interest from Saudi Arabia.
In our view, Fofana would be an ideal replacement in the squad. Both him and Casemiro have a similar build. Fofana is better when it comes to ball recoveries.
He also likes to dribble his way out of tight spaces unlike Casemiro. At 24, he is just in the prime of his career and would be a superb long-term signing for United.
The former Strasbourg man is currently valued at €25 million by Transfermarkt, and United will be hoping to prise him away for the same fee after offloading Casemiro.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions