Manchester United remain strong suitors for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa but could face competition from Chelsea, according to O Jogo (page 10).
The Red Devils are currently looking for a new number one with David de Gea reluctant to accept a significant pay-cut to extend his 12-year stay.
De Gea’s contract expires at the end of June and the Spaniard could walk away as a free-agent.
United have been linked with a move for Inter’s Andre Onana, but O Jogo insist that they are also ‘strong suitors’ for Costa, who could be sold soon.
Porto are looking for significant capital gains before June 30, and Costa has been identified as the ideal candidate to help them balance their books.
Aside from United, Chelsea have been touted to enter the pursuit after sanctioning the sale of Edouard Mendy to Saudi Pro League club Al Ahli.
Costa currently has a termination clause of €75 million in his contract, but Porto may have to accept a lesser fee to sell him in the next nine days.
United have to choose between Costa and Onana
United are known to be admirers of Costa. They have been monitoring him for a number of months.
Hence, the reported interest is unsurprising, but the big question is whether they would consider an approach for him when Onana is available.
Diogo Dalot recently spoke highly of his compatriot Costa and said that he would welcome the prospect of him moving to Old Trafford this summer.
However, the final decision could depend on manager Erik ten Hag, who could prefer familiarity. In that case, Onana could be the more realistic target.
Ten Hag managed Onana for four-and-a-half seasons at Ajax. The 27-year-old has also opened the door for a reunion with the Dutch tactician at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action