Manchester United are already making plans for the 2018-19 season with contract negotiations taking place among current players and a number of players being linked with a move to the club over the summer.
With Michael Carrick retiring in the summer and Marouane Fellaini expected to leave when his contract expires, we are widely-expected to sign a central midfielder or two.
We have seen a number of young players given their opportunity in the first team over the past couple of seasons – perhaps Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard are the best examples of that, whilst Scott McTominay is making a name for himself this season.
Two young players that won’t have the opportunity to break into the first team are Jake Barrett and Harry Spratt, as the club have confirmed that the teenagers have been released by the club.
A statement on the official website confirmed the under-18s defenders have departed Manchester United and joined up with Huddersfield Town to establish their careers in football.
Neither youngster was able to hold down a regular spot in Kieran McKenna’s title-chasing team this season whilst we currently top the U18 Premier League.
Jake Barrett is a Huddersfield native and actually featured in his new team’s Under-19 Champions Trophy game over the Easter weekend. He made six appearances for our youth team this season.
Meanwhile, Harry Spratt was limited in his opportunities at Manchester United after an injury reduced his playing time.
Manchester United wished both players best of luck in the future, with this statement on the official website:
“United would like to wish both Jake and Harry every success for the future.”
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season