Manchester United have rejected a ‘sneaky’ loan bid from Borussia Dortmund to re-sign Jadon Sancho this summer, according to Daily Star.
The England international signed for the Red Devils from the Bundesliga outfit for £73 million two years ago, but he has yet to become a key player.
Sancho has registered just 12 goals and six assists from 79 games for United, and it has been reported that the club could consider his departure.
The Daily Star now report that Dortmund have failed with an ambitious loan approach for Sancho.
United are open to selling the 23-year-old for £45m, having failed to live up to his expectations.
Man Utd may struggle to receive bids for Sancho
Sancho showed signs of returning to form during the second half of last season. He was far better with his distribution after a special training programme at OJC Rosmalen.
However, much more is expected from a player, who was one of the most sought-after forwards in world football during his development years in Germany with Dortmund.
Sancho managed an incredible 114 goal contributions from 137 outings for Dortmund. With United, he has just 18 goal involvements from 79 appearances thus far.
Hence, we are not surprised that United are prepared to cut their losses on him this summer, but they face a major stumbling block due to his current weekly wages.
Sancho is currently the joint-highest earner at £350,000-a-week at United. Not many clubs in European and world football can afford to meet his salary package.
If United were to receive a £45m bid this summer, they would still need to hand Sancho with a hefty pay-off to convince him to take a significant pay-cut elsewhere.
In our view, this is an unlikely situation. Sancho should continue at Old Trafford next term. It could be a make-or-break season for him under manager Erik ten Hag.
With the recent emergence of Alejandro Garnacho, Sancho now has more competition. Marcus Rashford and Antony are guaranteed starters out wide for the manager.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action