Manchester United remain keen on landing Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa despite the increase in his buy-out clause this month, Portuguese outlet A Bola claim.
The Portugal international has been in outstanding form for his club this campaign and he has particularly caught the eye with his penalty-saving ability.
He recently put pen-to-paper on a new deal at Porto which raised his release clause to €75 million from €60 million, but there is still plenty of transfer interest.
United have not cooled their pursuit after Porto’s decision, but they are not alone in the race with Barcelona also considering him ahead of next summer.
Costa could replace David de Gea next season
The 23-year-old had his breakthrough campaign with Porto last term where he made 43 appearances and is now regarded as an undisputed starter between the sticks.
His excellent form in goal has also caught the eye of Portugal manager Fernando Santos. He has picked him regularly ahead of Rui Patricio, who was formerly the first-choice.
Costa will have the chance to build his reputation further at the World Cup. It will be interesting to see whether United make a serious move to sign him next summer.
David de Gea has been splendid in goal after a poor start to the season. He has looked the player of old and has been earning plenty of praise from manager Erik ten Hag.
It has been claimed that he could sign a new deal with a 50 per cent pay-cut and Ten Hag will have the final decision to make when the campaign comes to a close.
If Ten Hag’s priorities lie on bolstering other positions, De Gea could stay. His current £375,000-a-week deal expires next summer, but United have a 12-month extension clause.
If United were to pursue Costa, he would be an upgrade on De Gea as he is more comfortable playing out from the back and can make high claims. His reflexes are quite exceptional too.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities