Manchester United have been handed a boost in signing midfielder Frenkie de Jong with Barcelona now looking to find a resolution over his deferred wages, The Independent report.
According to The Independent, the Blaugrana are now desperate for De Jong to join the Red Devils as they need to recoup funds for the transfer of Jules Kounde from Sevilla this summer.
Chelsea have agreed to pay £50m plus add-ons for the France international, but the Catalan giants have told Kounde to stay patient as they aim to retrieve fees for his purchase.
This has contributed to the Blaugrana trying to settle the wages owed to De Jong, but an agreement is far off. As things stand, their offer is still €10m short of his outstanding salary.
United handed boost in Frenkie de Jong pursuit
United recently reached an agreement with the Blaugrana over the transfer fee for the midfielder, but a move has been held up with De Jong reluctant to leave without his wages being paid.
Spanish sources have constantly suggested that De Jong does not want to move for Old Trafford, but The Mirror recently revealed that the Dutchman has been in constant contact with manager Erik ten Hag.
The Netherlands star does not want to make his stance of leaving public until his deferred salary is paid. With Barcelona now negotiating with him, it could be a matter of time before he departs the club.
De Jong has been playing as a central defender in recent pre-season friendlies which is a clear indication that he does not have an assured place in Barcelona’s midfield ahead of the new La Liga campaign.
Over the past three years, De Jong has operated from a central midfield role for Barcelona when he prefers to play as a number six. He should feature in his preferred role with a move to the Red Devils this summer.
Ten Hag got the best out of him from the deep-lying position when they worked together at Ajax. The Dutchman’s excellent distribution and ball control would bring a huge upgrade in United’s midfield.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest