Manchester United really want to sign Napoli star Victor Osimhen during the summer transfer window, Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
The Red Devils are likely to invest on a marquee striker this summer and they have already been linked with multiple names over the past few months.
Osimhen and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Kolo Muani are among the striker targets but Plettenberg has said that United have a clear preference for the former.
Speaking to Sky Sport Germany, he said: “Manchester United really want him [Osimhen]. We’re hearing that he’s also ranked higher than Kolo Muani internally.”
Osimhen could evolve into a world-class striker
Osimhen has had a superb season with Napoli, scoring 23 goals and providing five assists in 28 games.
The Nigerian star has averaged a goal contribution in every 78 minutes this term. If he can continue at the same rate in future, he could evolve into a world-class striker.
Hence, there are no surprises that United are interested in signing him. Marcus Rashford has been brilliant this campaign with 27 goals but he is a left-winger by trade.
The club are still lacking a genuine goalscoring number nine to challenge for the Premier League title and Osimhen would be the perfect solution ahead of next season.
The 24-year-old is just entering the prime of his career. He has excellent finishing skills, can link-up play and has a genuine aerial threat in the box that United have lacked.
Napoli are likely to demand a premium fee in the region of €150 million this summer. This may not be a stumbling block for United with a possible takeover on the cards.
The main concern could be the interest from Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain. The former won’t give up on the striker easily with their owners having no objection to spending big.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 16: Man Utd star has outscored club’s top transfer target in 2023
- ‘You never know’: Frenkie de Jong reacts when asked about joining Man Utd this summer
- Erik ten Hag heaps special praise on Bruno Fernandes after FA Cup quarter-final win
- David de Gea delivers outstanding performance in FA Cup quarter-final vs Fulham
- Blow for Manchester United as Harry Maguire is ruled out of the FA Cup semi-final
- Marcel Sabitzer believes Manchester United were not handed the FA Cup quarter-final victory on a plate
- Manchester United to play Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup semi-final
- Manchester United 3-1 Fulham: Three talking points as the Red Devils progress to the FA Cup semi-finals after remarkable second-half drama
- Facundo Pellistri reflects on first Manchester United start
- Erik ten Hag doesn’t need Ousmane Dembele despite report