Manchester United are readying a multi-million offer to sign Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos this summer, according to Portuguese publication Record (page 8).
The Red Devils are expected to land a marquee striker during the upcoming transfer window and it has been widely reported that Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane is the priority target.
However, Spurs have no plans of selling the England star to a Premier League rival. It has been reported that they could risk losing him on a free transfer at the end of next season.
Hence, United could be forced to look into alternative options and Record claim that United are one of the clubs lining up a big-money proposal to sign Ramos from Benfica.
The Portuguese has had a stellar campaign at club level with 27 goals and 12 assists. Despite the interest, Benfica manager Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him for another year.
Ramos would suit Erik ten Hag’s playing style
Kane is the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag, considering he is Premier League proven. The 29-year-old just completed the 2022/23 Premier League season with a stunning 30 goals.
However, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is reluctant to do business with United or any other English club. If Kane were to leave north London this summer, he could most likely make the move abroad.
In our view, Ramos would be a better acquisition for the Red Devils, given his immense potential.
At just 21, the Portugal international has had a fabulous campaign for the Primeira Liga champions with 39 goal contributions from just 47 appearances in all competitions.
He was also exceptional for his national team at the World Cup, bagging a stellar hat-trick against Switzerland in the stunning 6-1 triumph during the round of 16 stage.
Aside from his goal involvements, Ramos has also excelled with his regular high pressing and does not shy away from tackling opposition defenders to secure possession.
The striker also possesses good hold-up play. His flexibility in positioning is another plus point. Ramos can occasionally drift out wide to create chances for his teammates.
Hence, he seems a no-brainer signing for United but won’t come on the cheap. It has been reported previously that the Red Devils could discuss a package worth £100 million.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return