Manchester United are ready to submit a high transfer offer for Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo amid his contract stand-off.
The Red Devils have had an average campaign in the Premier League. Their main concern has been the number of goals conceded.
This has led to suggestions that the club could pursue another centre-back this summer. Araujo appears the prime target.
According to Sport, United are keeping a close eye on his situation, and are prepared to make a ‘high transfer offer’ before June 30.
As of now, Araujo has received just one contract offer from the Catalan giants, which is far off from his wage demands.
If the stand-off continues, the Blaugrana may consider selling him with his contract expiring in less than 15 months’ time.
Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane have been United’s first-choice central defenders this term. Both have had inconsistent spells.
Varane had a tough first half to the campaign amid multiple injuries, but he has started to come into his own over the past few months.
However, the same can’t be said for Maguire, who has been prone to positional and unforced defensive errors in several games.
He is still regarded as a key player in the starting XI, but it won’t come as a surprise if the club are eyeing a marquee signing to displace him.
Araujo has made immense progress in a short time at Barcelona. He has excelled this term with his distribution and concentration in the box.
The 23-year-old has completed 89.4 per cent passes in La Liga. He has won an average of one tackle, two clearances and two aerial duels per game.
Araujo may want the assurance of a starting berth, should he leave Barcelona. United could offer him regular minutes by making the most of his versatility.
Aside from his central defensive role, Araujo has excelled this term from the right-back spot. In his six appearances from the position, he has two goals to his name.
That could be another quality that may have impressed the Red Devils, considering they have lacked the creativity from right-back.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot have yet to contribute a goal or an assist this campaign. Araujo could be a possible solution.
It remains to be seen whether they can lure the £36 million-rated star. Araujo is still open to staying at Barcelona if they meet his demands.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra