Manchester United are ready to submit a high transfer offer for Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo amid his contract stand-off.
The Red Devils have had an average campaign in the Premier League. Their main concern has been the number of goals conceded.
This has led to suggestions that the club could pursue another centre-back this summer. Araujo appears the prime target.
According to Sport, United are keeping a close eye on his situation, and are prepared to make a ‘high transfer offer’ before June 30.
As of now, Araujo has received just one contract offer from the Catalan giants, which is far off from his wage demands.
If the stand-off continues, the Blaugrana may consider selling him with his contract expiring in less than 15 months’ time.
Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane have been United’s first-choice central defenders this term. Both have had inconsistent spells.
Varane had a tough first half to the campaign amid multiple injuries, but he has started to come into his own over the past few months.
However, the same can’t be said for Maguire, who has been prone to positional and unforced defensive errors in several games.
He is still regarded as a key player in the starting XI, but it won’t come as a surprise if the club are eyeing a marquee signing to displace him.
Araujo has made immense progress in a short time at Barcelona. He has excelled this term with his distribution and concentration in the box.
The 23-year-old has completed 89.4 per cent passes in La Liga. He has won an average of one tackle, two clearances and two aerial duels per game.
Araujo may want the assurance of a starting berth, should he leave Barcelona. United could offer him regular minutes by making the most of his versatility.
Aside from his central defensive role, Araujo has excelled this term from the right-back spot. In his six appearances from the position, he has two goals to his name.
That could be another quality that may have impressed the Red Devils, considering they have lacked the creativity from right-back.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot have yet to contribute a goal or an assist this campaign. Araujo could be a possible solution.
It remains to be seen whether they can lure the £36 million-rated star. Araujo is still open to staying at Barcelona if they meet his demands.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action