Manchester United are prepared to release Casemiro from his contract by the summer amid his inconsistent form and injuries this season, according to Daily Star.
The Brazil international joined the Red Devils from Real Madrid in a deal worth £70 million last season. He had a good debut campaign with key contributions in the defensive and offensive side.
However, he has struggled to replicate the same in the current season. The 31-year-old looked out of touch in the early weeks and has barely played since November after a hamstring injury.
Casemiro still has two years left on his £350,000-a-week deal with an option for another 12 months, but it is reported that United are planning to reach a mutual agreement for his early release.
He is currently the joint highest earner at United alongside Raphael Varane. The upcoming board led by Sir Jim Ratcliffe believe his exit would avoid future transfer signings asking for parity.
United could sell Casemiro for a cut-price fee in future, but they seem more keen on taking the midfielder off their wage bill. The club are ready to make a huge pay-off of more than £20m.
Casemiro and Varane could leave this summer
Casemiro has had a difficult second season plagued by injuries. He has been on the sidelines for the past few months. In this period, Kobbie Mainoo has excelled from the number six role.
The 18-year-old wonderkid has started ahead of the likes of Sofyan Amrabat and Scott McTominay. Ratcliffe and co. seem prepared to back the youngster to become the mainstay.
In that case, United don’t need an expensive back-up in the form of Casemiro. They could seek to bring in another young midfielder such as Arthur Vermeeren to provide competition.
Alongside Casemiro, Varane could also be released by United. The hierarchy have decided against triggering an extension clause in his deal to keep him until the summer of 2025.
It is likely that he could leave on a free transfer unless he is willing to accept a huge pay-cut.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow