Manchester United are ready to pay £69 million to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong this summer, Sky Sport Germany reporter Marc Behrenbeck claims.
The Red Devils have earmarked the Netherlands international as their prime midfield target with new manager Erik ten Hag keen on reuniting with him.
De Jong was a key player under Ten Hag at Ajax where operated from the ‘number six’ role. The Dutch tactician appears eager to lure him to Old Trafford.
It is now reported by Behrenbeck (h/t The Express) that the Red Devils are willing to part with a sum of around £69m to secure the services of the 25-year-old.
Furthermore, Barcelona are ‘ready to hand over’ De Jong amid their financial concerns, but he may still need to be convinced over a summer transfer.
United have made it a priority to sign De Jong during the upcoming transfer window, and it appears they are now prepared to make an official approach.
The lack of Champions League football has been highlighted as a potential hindrance towards the transfer, but Ten Hag seems ‘convinced that he can convince‘ his former player.
If United were to sign him, he would provide a big upgrade in midfield. The Dutchman is excellent with his distribution and has completed over 91 per cent of his passes since his senior debut.
He has also averaged 63 passes per appearance. This is significantly higher than Fred (53) and Scott McTominay (38) have managed over the course of their respective playing careers.
De Jong would also provide more control for United in the centre of the park with his ball retention capability. He is not a tough tackler, but has superb anticipation when it comes to winning his duels.
There are no surprises why Ten Hag is pushing United to pursue his former midfielder. De Jong is well versed with his style of play, and could seamlessly adapt unlike others.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest