Manchester United are ready to make an approach to sign Santos striker Marcos Leonardo before the transfer window closes, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (page 16).
The Red Devils signed Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta to bolster their centre-forward department earlier this summer, but the Dane arrived at the club with a back injury.
As a result, he has yet to make his debut for United, but it may not be long before he takes the playing field. Amidst this, Gazzetta dello Sport have linked the club with Leonardo.
The Serie A outfit remain interested in making a late move for him, but it is claimed that United are also ready to offer €20 million plus €5m in add-ons (£21.4m) to sign the Brazilian.
Leonardo would be a quality deputy behind Hojlund
The youngster has had a fantastic year with Santos. In his 32 appearances across all competitions, he has contributed 16 goals and provided another four assists.
He was also brilliant for Brazil at the Under-20 World Cup recently. He registered five goals and an assist from just five appearances before they exited the tournament.
In our opinion, Leonardo would be a good understudy to Hojlund. He has a terrific work rate and likes to engage in duels. He does not shy away from making fouls.
His finishing is his obvious strength. He would be a shrewd late signing for United. If the club were to sign him, there could be doubts raised over Anthony Martial’s future.
Martial only came off the bench against Tottenham Hotspur recently. If Leonardo is signed to compete with Hojlund, the Frenchman could contemplate a possible exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin