Manchester United are ready to move for Sporting Lisbon defender Goncalo Inacio after his impressive Europa League display against Arsenal, Correio da Manha report.
The Red Devils are likely to sign a young central defender this summer and they have been linked with several high-profile names including RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol.
Inacio is another player that the club have been keeping tabs on and it is reported that they were pleased with the defender’s showing against the Gunners on Thursday.
The Red Devils no longer have doubts over the defender and are prepared to make a transfer approach. The Portuguese could be prised away for around €35 million.
Inacio would be a superb long-term signing
United currently have just one left-footed centre-back in the squad in Lisandro Martinez and Erik ten Hag may want another solid competitor to the Argentine this summer.
Luke Shaw has done a credible job when Martinez has been given a breather but the manager may prefer another genuine left-footed central defender in the squad next season.
Gvardiol is probably the most lucrative option that could be available, but the Croatian won’t come for cheap. He could cost in excess of €100m in the next transfer window.
With United also planning to sign a marquee striker and central midfielder this summer, they could settle for a cheaper alternative. In our opinion, Inacio would be an ideal pick.
The 21-year-old has excelled with his distribution, tackling, aerial prowess and ability to clear his lines.
He has also made occasional goal contributions and recently found the back of the net against the Gunners with his head. Hence, he has all the traits to succeed at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books