Manchester United are ready to invest €50 million to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana this summer, according to Corriere della Sera (page 50).
The Red Devils recently opened talks with Onana’s representative Albert Botines, and they are now planning to make a formal approach for his services.
Corriere della Sera now report that United are prepared to pay €50m for the Cameroonian star, and it is an offer that Inter would find ‘impossible to refuse’.
Inter’s sporting director Piero Ausilio is currently in England to deal with the Red Devils.
Onana edging closer to United transfer
David de Gea has been United’s mainstay in goal for the past 12 years, but the Spaniard looks likely to head for the exit door after the latest contract drama.
The 32-year-old recently agreed a new deal with a significant pay-cut, but United did not sign it. They instead proposed a new deal with an even lower salary.
De Gea is now likely to walk away from the club when his contract expires on June 30.
Onana could be his replacement between the sticks. The 27-year-old would be a solid upgrade on the Spaniard with his better distribution and shot-stopping.
The Inter star averaged an impressive 30 passes in Serie A last term with an accuracy of 78 per cent. The Cameroonian had 48 touches per game for the Nerazzurri.
Aside from his passing, Onana excelled with his ability to come off his line and intercept crosses, which has rarely been the case with De Gea over the years.
The former Barcelona graduate played under manager Erik ten Hag for four-and-a-half years, and should not require much time to adapt to the playing style.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling