Manchester United are ready to accelerate contract talks with defender Diogo Dalot, according to Portuguese outlet O Jogo (today’s edition, page 24).
The 23-year-old has been an undisputed starter from the right-back role under manager Erik ten Hag this term and he has only missed games through suspension and injury.
United recently triggered a 12-month extension clause in his contract and it is now claimed that they want to accelerate talks over a new deal to ward off potential suitors.
Dalot’s position is ‘unquestionable’ under Ten Hag and it is claimed that the club want to add at least five more years to his current contract expiring in the summer of 2024.
Man Utd must finalise new Dalot deal quickly
Dalot has been one of United’s most-improved players under Ten Hag. The Portuguese has been playing with confidence behind him after earning the manager’s trust.
Goal recently described him as an ‘undroppable‘ player and that has definitely been the case. Before the World Cup, Dalot started in 20 out of the club’s 21 matches.
The Portuguese has missed two games after the season restart with a hamstring injury, but could start against Wolverhampton Wanderers tomorrow after returning to training.
Meanwhile, United must finalise a new contract for Dalot quickly amid high-profile interest. The likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid have an eye on the £28 million-rated star.
He is currently one of the lowest earners at £25,000-a-week and could easily earn around £100,000 weekly if he agrees to put pen-to-paper on a long-term deal.
Aside from Dalot, United should also prioritise a new contract for Marcus Rashford. The United graduate could become the club’s highest earner if he extends his stay.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Manchester United want Torino right-back Raoul Bellanova to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the summer
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini