Manchester United have reached a ‘full agreement’ to sign Burnley striker Wout Weghorst on loan, according to reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano.
The Dutchman has been manager Erik ten Hag’s prime target for the January transfer window and United are now on the verge of landing him.
Weghorst is currently on loan with Besiktas, but the Turkish outfit have agreed a compensation fee of around €3 million to terminate his deal.
However, the Super Lig giants will only approve his exit if they find the right replacement. Al Nassr’s Vincent Aboubakar is their main target.
United need to register Weghorst before Manchester derby
Weghorst joined Burnley from Wolfsburg during the second half of last season and struggled to impose himself with just two Premier League goals.
However, he was playing for a club that were in a relegation battle throughout. At United, he could prosper with the vast creativity around him.
We have already covered an opinion on how Weghorst could influence the Manchester derby with his better pressing in the final third compared by Anthony Martial.
After Martial was rested yesterday, Weghorst may not start the derby if available but could be a gamechanger off the bench in case United are in a position to win.
Weghorst would offer a different dimension to United’s attack with his strong physical and aerial attributes. Hopefully, he will be registered in time for Saturday’s game.
United have to register him by 12pm GMT on Friday to be available for selection. He should be well prepared for the contest, having been actively playing for Besiktas this term.
Weghorst has had a fine season for Besiktas with nine goals and four assists, but his main highlight is undoubtedly the stunning brace scored against Argentina at the World Cup.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out