Manchester United have agreed to sign Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred, according to reliable football journalist Gianluca Di Marzio.
We have been linked with a move for the Brazilian midfielder since January and have seemingly fought off competition from rivals Manchester City.
Di Marzio claims that the deal is worth €50 million (£43m).
Fred is due to arrive in Europe next week for Brazil’s pre-World Cup friendly with Croatia at Anfield, so it could be great timing for the player to agree personal terms and undertake his medical with us at the same time. He has been named in Tite’s 23-man squad for this summer’s tournament in Russia.
We are expected to sign two central midfielders this summer following the retirement of Michael Carrick and impending departure of Marouane Fellaini.
Manchester City were the favourites to sign Fred during the January transfer window as the long-term replacement for Fernandinho. However, if Di Marzio’s report is accurate, then it will be the second time this year that we will have beaten Pep Guardiola’s side in a head-to-head transfer battle, having pinched Alexis Sanchez from under their nose at the start of the year.
The 25-year-old is an energetic midfielder who links up well between the defence and attack.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup