Heading into the summer transfer window Manchester United had been expected to sign a new left-back.
We subsequently signed Diogo Dalot from FC Porto, who was predominately a right-back at youth level but made his first six appearances for the first team at left-back, filling in for the injured Alex Telles.
Reports linking us to left-backs have since died down, apparently pulling out of an interest in Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose altogether.
However, our interest in Juventus’ Alex Sandro could be reignited this month as the Italian champions are valuing the left-back at £52.7 million which could well tempt Jose Mourinho.
The Manchester Evening News are quoting the price of the 27-year-old who has previously been on our radar.
Given that Ashley Young turns 33 next month and that neither Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Marcos Rojo not Matteo Darmian have impressed the boss in this position, I still believe we could make a move for an established left-back this summer.
Alex Sandro is one of the best in his position and contributed to eight goals in 26 Serie A matches (23 starts) this past season – four goals and four assists. The Brazilian likes to bomb forward and is an effective runner with the ball as well as being able to put in a good delivery from out wide. There’s no doubt he’d be an upgrade on Ashley Young should we land the three-time Serie A champion this month.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup