Heading into the summer transfer window Manchester United had been expected to sign a new left-back.
We subsequently signed Diogo Dalot from FC Porto, who was predominately a right-back at youth level but made his first six appearances for the first team at left-back, filling in for the injured Alex Telles.
Reports linking us to left-backs have since died down, apparently pulling out of an interest in Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose altogether.
However, our interest in Juventus’ Alex Sandro could be reignited this month as the Italian champions are valuing the left-back at £52.7 million which could well tempt Jose Mourinho.
The Manchester Evening News are quoting the price of the 27-year-old who has previously been on our radar.
Given that Ashley Young turns 33 next month and that neither Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Marcos Rojo not Matteo Darmian have impressed the boss in this position, I still believe we could make a move for an established left-back this summer.
Alex Sandro is one of the best in his position and contributed to eight goals in 26 Serie A matches (23 starts) this past season – four goals and four assists. The Brazilian likes to bomb forward and is an effective runner with the ball as well as being able to put in a good delivery from out wide. There’s no doubt he’d be an upgrade on Ashley Young should we land the three-time Serie A champion this month.
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd