Manchester United will provide strong competition to Lazio in the race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson this summer, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 20).
The Red Devils are expected to spend on multiple players during the upcoming transfer window, and manager Erik ten Hag is reportedly eyeing another left winger.
Corriere dello Sport highlight that United are one of the clubs interested in Karlsson, and they could offer ‘strong competition’ to Lazio in the pursuit of the Swede.
Alkmaar bought him for just €2.6 million three years ago, and it is reported that they could sanction his sale for around €20m when the transfer window reopens.
Karlsson could be signed to add squad depth
Ten Hag currently has Marcus Rashford, Alejandro Garnacho and Jadon Sancho as his left wing options, but the latter could see a positional change next season.
Meanwhile, Rashford could be a regular striker under Ten Hag, suppose the club fail to bring in a marquee number nine such as Harry Kane or Victor Osimhen.
In our view, this could be a reason behind Ten Hag’s interest in signing another left winger. Karlsson would be a good addition without spending much out of the budget.
The 24-year-old was impressive for AZ Alkmaar last term with 13 goals and eight assists in all competitions. 30 out of his 33 appearances came from the left wing.
Karlsson had good control with a pass accuracy of 80 per cent. He likes to press opponents. Ten Hag may have looked at him during his time at Ajax. We won’t be surprised if he has recommended his signing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return