Manchester United are pressing to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who continues to remain Erik ten Hag’s top priority, Mundo Deportivo (today’s edition, page 12) reports.
The Red Devils recently entered negotiations with the Catalan giants for the Dutchman, and it has been claimed that they are ‘very close’ to finalising a package worth €80 million for his services.
However, United still need to convince De Jong over a transfer. The midfielder has the chance to reunite with his former Ajax manager at Old Trafford, but prefers to be playing Champions League football.
This is proving a stumbling block in the transfer pursuit, but Ten Hag is ‘convinced that he can be able to convince’ De Jong over a summer move to United. The deal appears to be in the balance at the moment.
De Jong impressed from the holding midfielder position at former club Ajax. He was never a tough tackler, but showed his class with his clever positioning, ball control and excellent distribution.
The Netherlands international has not quite replicated the consistency since his move to Camp Nou. He has tended to operate in a central role with Sergio Busquets being the regular defensive midfielder.
At United, he could get the chance to play in his preferred position once again. Ten Hag got the best out of him at Ajax. De Jong was instrumental in the club’s run to the 2018/19 Champions League semi-final.
There are no surprises that Ten Hag is pushing for a reunion. The Dutch tactician seems optimistic of persuading the midfielder, but there are suggestions that United want a transfer decision by mid-June.
With Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City also mentioned as potential admirers, United would surely want a quick decision from the player and can’t afford to prolong negotiations.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest