Manchester United are preparing their first offer for Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Calciomercato reports.
The Red Devils are expected to reinforce their midfield department this summer with the anticipated departures of Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba.
Milinkovic-Savic has been a long-term target for United, and there are no surprises that he is being continuously linked with the club.
According to Calciomercato, Lazio president Claudio Lolito has decided to lower the midfielder’s price tag from €120 million to €80m.
It is added that United’s interest in the Serbian is ‘concrete’ and they plan to make an opening offer close to the reported asking price.
United are, however, not alone in the pursuit with Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain also keen. The latter are keeping a close watch.
Milinkovic-Savic has been one of Serie A’s best box-to-box midfielders. He has had another fine campaign with 10 goals and 12 assists from 44 games.
Despite his efforts, Lazio have been far off from competing for the Scudetto. They won’t finish higher than fifth on the league table this term.
Hence, he has made the decision to move on. United could see him as a replacement for Pogba with his impressive all-round attributes.
Milinkovic-Savic would be an upgrade on Pogba as he is better going forward. He has also averaged an impressive 1.9 tackles per game.
United seem intent on landing his services, but the big question lies whether they can lure him without Champions League football.
The Red Devils have had the pulling power despite the lack of trophies, but qualification for the Champions League has been a factor.
Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus are better placed in this regard. United must start negotiations at the earliest to convince the midfielder.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?