Manchester United are preparing an opening bid for Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund, according to journalist Alfredo Pedulla.
The Red Devils recently pulled out of the race to sign Tottenham Hotspur star Harry Kane, and they are now likely to prioritise the transfer of Hojlund from Atalanta.
Pedulla claims that United are lining up an opening bid of €60 million plus bonuses for the 20-year-old, but Atalanta are likely to request more for their prized asset.
United have yet to make any official contact with Atalanta, but it is reported that the Bergamo outfit may want at least €70m plus add-ons for the Danish wonderkid.
United should not pay over the odds for Hojlund
Hojlund joined Atalanta from Sturm Graz for €17m before the 2022 summer transfer deadline. He had a decent debut campaign with 10 goals and four assists in all competitions.
Overall, the striker managed 16 goals and seven assists at club level last season. The Dane definitely has potential, but he has yet to find consistency at the highest level.
Hojlund has been likened to Erling Haaland for a similar playing style. He is a powerful left-footed striker, who possesses good pace and has impressive finishing skills.
Similar to Haaland, he is a poacher in the box. Hojlund scored a stunning hat-trick for Denmark against Finland back in March. All of his goals came from the six yard box.
United are planning an opening bid for his services, but it appears Atalanta are likely to ask much more. In our opinion, the club should seek to negotiate a lesser sum.
€60m is already on the higher side for a young centre-forward. €70m would mean that they are paying over the odds for someone, who has yet to reach the elite level.
For a similar fee, they could sign Dusan Vlahovic from Juventus. The Serbian has 61 goals in the Italian top-flight. He would be a better acquisition than Hojlund for that price.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England