Manchester United are prepared to join Premier League rivals Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez this summer, De Telegraaf’s Mike Verweij claims.
The Red Devils are eyeing a new central defender for next season, and it was initially mentioned that Ajax’s Jurrien Timber was the prime target.
However, the centre-back has reportedly snubbed a move to Old Trafford as he is wary of missing out on the World Cup with the Netherlands.
Amidst this, Verweij reports that United have entered the pursuit of his teammate Martinez, who is also on the radar of the Gunners.
Mikel Arteta’s side are yet to make a formal bid for the 24-year-old, but verbally proposed that they could pay around €30 million for him.
In response, Ajax did not want to discuss the Argentine’s sale. United may need to make a higher offer to test their resolve this summer.
Martinez had a superb 2021/22 campaign with Ajax. His performances were rewarded with the Player of the Year award at the end of the season.
The centre-back was superb in the Eredivisie and Champions League for Ajax, winning nearly two tackles and two interceptions per game.
He is not the tallest of defenders at 175cm, but has an incredible leap in the air. He won an impressive 6.4 duels per appearance last season.
Hence, he has the qualities to adapt to the demands of the Premier League. His versatile ability would be an added boost for the Red Devils.
While he is a left-sided central defender by trade, he can also operate at left-back or in the centre of the park as a holding midfielder.
His progress has also caught the eye of the Gunners, but both clubs face a tough challenge on their hands to persuade Ajax to sell.
As per Fabrizio Romano, the Dutch champions have no intention of selling both Timber and Martinez during the ongoing transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd join Barcelona in race to sign midfielder Martin Zubimendi
- Key night for Manchester United trio as England eye World Cup progress
- Saudi government would back private sector bids for Man Utd
- Manchester United’s ‘winter’ friendlies and what Erik ten Hag can achieve with them