Manchester United have informed Bologna that they are prepared to pay over €40 million to sign striker Joshua Zirkzee during the summer transfer window, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 12).
The Dutchman is currently in his second season with the Serie A outfit. He has registered eight goals and four assists from 22 appearances across all competitions thus far.
His progress has impressed the Red Devils and Corriere dello Sport claim that they are interested in bringing him to Old Trafford at the conclusion of the campaign.
Bayern Munich currently have a €40m buy-back clause in the striker’s contract alongside a sell-on clause. It is claimed that the figure offers Bologna with more negotiating power on Zirkzee.
They are likely to hold out for a higher price in the summer and it is reported that United as well as Arsenal are prepared to ‘guarantee’ a fee above the clause value.
United could swoop for Zirkzee’s services this summer
The Red Devils signed Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta to strengthen the strike force in the last transfer window. He has scored only seven goals across all competitions so far.
Despite his low output, the club clearly believe he has the potential to become an elite striker. Manager Erik ten Hag may still want a solid competitor alongside the Dane.
Anthony Martial has failed to meet the expectations with his poor injury record over the past few years. He looks set to leave on a free transfer when his contract expires in June.
United may want a young striker with huge potential to replace him. Ten Hag has an eye on Ajax’s Brian Brobbey, but Zirkzee could be another quality candidate for the position.
The Dutchman has the ability to hold-up play and has also impressed with his distribution with an average of nearly 20 passes per game while operating as the lone striker.
He does not shy away from engaging in duels and has the pace and dribbling skills to get behind defences. With the right guidance, he could become a top-class marksman.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony