Manchester United are eyeing a low-cost loan signing to bolster their strike force this month, according to The Telegraph.
The Red Devils mutually terminated the contract of Cristiano Ronaldo in November last year and they are now eyeing a new striker to fill the void.
However, the hierarchy have no plans of pursuing a permanent signing and prefer a stop-gap loan option for the remainder of the current season.
Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix has been regularly linked with the club, but it is reported that the board have been put off by the staggering loan fee.
United have also been linked with a reunion with Barcelona’s Memphis Depay, but a deal is unlikely as they won’t offer future assurances to the player.
As things stand, Wout Weghorst seems the most suitable candidate, but a loan may depend on whether Besiktas agree to terminate his deal with Burnley.
The Turkish outfit signed the Netherlands international from the Clarets on a season-long loan last summer with an option to buy for €10 million.
United have clear stance on striker search
United had a record spending spree of nearly €250 million last summer. They are now likely to wait until the end of the season before another flurry of purchases.
Hence, the club are only focused on pursuing a striker on loan. Felix would be a marquee acquisition but Atletico currently want around €11m as a loan fee with a buy option.
United seem reluctant to commit to such an agreement. In our view, they could end up landing Weghorst on loan if there is a breakthrough in talks with Burnley and Besiktas.
Weghorst does not represent a high-profile signing, but he can be a nuisance for opposition defences with his strong hold-up play as well as his aerial and physical presence.
Ten Hag got the best out of Sebastien Haller as a target man at Ajax. We could see something similar with Weghorst, who has had a more than decent scoring record over the years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach