Manchester United are eyeing a low-cost loan signing to bolster their strike force this month, according to The Telegraph.
The Red Devils mutually terminated the contract of Cristiano Ronaldo in November last year and they are now eyeing a new striker to fill the void.
However, the hierarchy have no plans of pursuing a permanent signing and prefer a stop-gap loan option for the remainder of the current season.
Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix has been regularly linked with the club, but it is reported that the board have been put off by the staggering loan fee.
United have also been linked with a reunion with Barcelona’s Memphis Depay, but a deal is unlikely as they won’t offer future assurances to the player.
As things stand, Wout Weghorst seems the most suitable candidate, but a loan may depend on whether Besiktas agree to terminate his deal with Burnley.
The Turkish outfit signed the Netherlands international from the Clarets on a season-long loan last summer with an option to buy for €10 million.
United have clear stance on striker search
United had a record spending spree of nearly €250 million last summer. They are now likely to wait until the end of the season before another flurry of purchases.
Hence, the club are only focused on pursuing a striker on loan. Felix would be a marquee acquisition but Atletico currently want around €11m as a loan fee with a buy option.
United seem reluctant to commit to such an agreement. In our view, they could end up landing Weghorst on loan if there is a breakthrough in talks with Burnley and Besiktas.
Weghorst does not represent a high-profile signing, but he can be a nuisance for opposition defences with his strong hold-up play as well as his aerial and physical presence.
Ten Hag got the best out of Sebastien Haller as a target man at Ajax. We could see something similar with Weghorst, who has had a more than decent scoring record over the years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest