Manchester United are aiming to beat Arsenal in the pursuit of Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez this summer, TalkSPORT reports.
It is now claimed that the club are preparing to turn their attention to Martinez, who has worked under manager Erik ten Hag for the past three campaigns.
Arsenal recently made a second proposal of around £35 million for the Argentine, but United are aiming to beat them to the player with an offer worth £40m.
Ten Hag is said to be a big admirer of the 24-year-old, who is a centre-back by trade, but can also operate in either full-back position or in holding midfield.
Martinez has built his reputation immensely during his time in Amsterdam. In the recent season, he was sublime defensively with an average of two tackles and 1.9 interceptions per league game.
The 24-year-old also made 2.8 clearances per appearance while winning over three aerial duels. He was also superb with his distribution, completing 89 per cent of his passes.
As such, he can be regarded as the perfect all-round defender. He is not the tallest of centre-backs at 175cm, but has impressed with his exceptional leap and strong physical attributes.
It recently seemed that Arsenal could get a free run at the Argentine, but Ten Hag now appears to be leading United’s pursuit of the defender, who was named Ajax’s Player of the Year.
The transfer proposal from United could still be below the reported valuation between £45-50m, but the club will be aiming to persuade Ajax by including easily achievable add-ons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI